Washington Personal Injury Attorney
click here to be instantly connected to a Personal Injury Lawyer click here to see our Personal Injury Blog

Independent Medical Exam (IME) and PIP in Washington State

In Washington, although PIP is not required, an insured must sign a waiver rejecting said coverage.  If your insurance company cannot produce your signed waiver, they must provide PIP coverage.  Under a PIP policy, your insurance company must pay for those medical bills that are reasonable, necessary and related to the accident.  They cannot deny coverage on a blanket statement saying the bills were not related, they must provide some form of proof.  Insurance companies typically call for an Independent Medical Exam or IME to gather evidence sufficient to deny further coverage.  If you choose not to attend, they can terminate PIP benefits.  You and your attorney should do a cost benefit analysis on whether or not you should submit to an IME.  If your IME results are unfavorable, the third party insurance carrier is entitled to a copy of the report if your case proceeds to litigation.  If you choose to not attend, however, you may need to pay your medical bills from your own pocket.  If you do decide to attend, you should have your attorney or another representative record the IME.  Recording helps with an accurate account of the examination as well as keeping the medical doctor honest.

Categories: Personal Injury

Posted By Park Chenaur on August 02, 2010 04:12 pm | Permalink 
Attorney Web Design The information on this Federal Way, Washington Personal Injury Attorneys / Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Address: 2505 S. 320th St., Ste 100 Federal Way, WA 98003    Phone: (253) 839-9440