Washington Personal Injury Attorney
click here to be instantly connected to a Personal Injury Lawyer click here to see our Personal Injury Blog

Children involved in a Car Accident and Minor Settlements

If your child or another child under the age of 18 was injured in a car accident, handling the minor settlement can be difficult.  First, you need to work out a settlement amount with the insurance company that fairly compensates your child.  After a fair monetary figure has been agreed upon, a petition for approval of settlement needs to be filed with the court.  The court, depending on jurisdiction, will appoint a Settlement Guardian Ad Litem (SGAL) to oversee your child's case.  The SGAL, after an investigation into the facts of the accident and the type of injury and treatment, will make a recommendation to the judge.  If the judge approves your the settlement amount, usually the funds will be placed in a blocked account until your child reaches the age of 18.  In Washington, the statute of limitations does not begin to run until your child reaches 18 years of age.  At that time, your child will have 3 years to resolve his claim.

Categories: Personal Injury

Posted By Park Chenaur on July 26, 2010 11:46 am | Permalink 
Attorney Web Design The information on this Federal Way, Washington Personal Injury Attorneys / Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Address: 2505 S. 320th St., Ste 100 Federal Way, WA 98003    Phone: (253) 839-9440